Monday 22 September 2014

Kapadokya

This blog post shall be dedicated to my dear friend Axel.

I'm actively considering to rename this blog into "The Drunk Adventures of MC Montekar McFresh" (that's one of my nicknames, in case you didn't know), because let's face it, that's what I write about. If you don't approve of excessive alcohol consumption, please stop reading now.

This weekend, I went to Kapadokya with about 100 exchange students. The trip was organised by ESN and we left Thursday evening with two buses, spending the night on the road. I was promised a bus party, so I bought some beer before getting on the bus. Since most people are however not as party as I am (hereby party shall be established as a character trait, feel free to use this term to describe people), the party fell short of my expectations. In fact, I ended up drinking my beer and listening to some Technical Death Metal (Fleshgod Apocalypse) while learning French with a book I borrowed from a fellow passenger. That's a great way to kill time, trust me.


http://www.kapadokya.edu.tr/en/upl/map.jpg
This map might help you if you're as bad at geography as I am.




At some point, I must have fallen asleep, because when I woke up, it was already morning and we were in Kapadokya. The landscape in this part of the country is characterised by some strange rock formations, called fairy chimneys.

Fairy chimneys, built to attract tourists.
We were told that these fairy chimneys are the result of erosion of different layers of stone, but I think it seems a lot more likely that the locals put small rocks on big ones to have some kind of tourist attraction. Considering that there are fairy chimneys all over the place, they must have been quite busy. 
  
The second big attraction of the area are houses and churches (lots of churches, I assume that the church-human ration must have been 1:1 back in the days!) cut into the stone.
This house rocks, haha.
Besides sight seeing, we went to a Hamam (Turkish Bath, including face mask, sauna, jacuzzi and massage), which was a great experience. If you ever have the opportunity of visiting one, you should do it!
For the last night, we went to a place where a Turkish Night was held. This meant music, a belly dancer, regular dancers and UNLIMITED ALCOHOL! I have to admit that I exploited that last fact by drinking large amounts of rakı and wine. This allowed me to activate my secret dancing powers, which are alcohol-based. Basically, I'm like a werewolf, with alcohol instead of full moon and dancing instead of fur and teeth. It was fun.
"Do you dance often?"
"Only when I'm drunk."
"Then you must get drunk a lot."
"Hm."
After that, we got on the bus, where I finally got that bus party. Someone had managed to get a hold of a bottle of rakı, and since we didn't have any glasses... Well, I guess you can imagine the rest. I had that stuff all over my face (don't quote this out of context!). 
The next part will probably remain a mystery forever. I do remember getting off the bus, but the next thing I remember after that is waking up in my hotel bed in the morning. I've heard the same from several other people, so I'm assuming that aliens erased parts of our memory. Thing like that happen all the time in Turkey. On that same day, went back to Istanbul, arriving at about 1am. I walked home and finally managed to catch up on some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment